This policy explains the what, how, and why the information we collect when you visit our website, or when you use our services. It also explains how we’ll store and handle that data, and keep it safe. We take your privacy extremely seriously, and we never sell lists or email addresses.
The following sections will answer any questions you have but if not, please do get in touch with us on email@example.com / +44(0)20 7280 4350
We may collect and process the following data:
How we use your data
- Information acquired/provided through our membership subscription forms
- Information acquired/provided through our website. This includes information provided at the time of registering your details on our website, subscribing to our services or to our membership, participating in discussion boards or other social media functions, posting material or requesting further services. We may also ask you for information when you respond to a survey and/or when you report a problem with the website
- If you contact us, we may keep a record of that correspondence. If you send us personal information which identifies you via email, we may keep your email and email address. We may also collect information that is available from your browser
- We may ask you to complete optional surveys for research purposes
- Details of transactions you carry out through the website and of the fulfilment of your orders for ICS products and services
- Details of your visits to the website including, but not limited to, traffic data, events you attend, weblogs and other communication data, and the resources that you access
- Details of your access to our online resources or other materials
- Providing CVs or any other information about yourself for specific purposes
- We may collect information about your computer, including where available, your IP address, operating system and browser type, for system administration. This is statistical data about our users' browsing actions and patterns, and does not identify any individual.
We use personal information held in the following ways:
- To update and enhance our records
- To carry out our obligations arising from any contracts entered into between you and us to provide you with the information, products and services that you request from us
- To provide you, or permit selected third parties to provide you, with information about ICS’ goods and services which may interest you. If you are an existing member or customer, we will only contact you by electronic means (e-mail) with information about goods and services similar to those which were the subject of a previous sale or service, or negotiations of a sale or service to you. If you are a new member or customer, we or permitted third parties will contact you by electronic means only if you have consented to this. You can opt-in/out of such notifications by following the instructions on the relevant forms set out on this website (or elsewhere as applicable) or at any time after providing your information
- Inviting you to participate in research studies and/or market research activities
- To communicate with you in accordance with the requirements of our Articles of Association and Regulations, where applicable
To find out any more information about how your personal data is used please contact firstname.lastname@example.org or call +44(0)20 7280 4350
We sometimes share your personal data with trusted third parties. Here’s the policy we apply to those organisations to keep your data safe and protect your privacy:
- We provide only the information they need to perform their specific services.
- They may only use your data for the exact purposes we specify in our contract with them.
- We work closely with them to ensure that your privacy is respected and protected at all times
- If we stop using their services, any of your data held by them will either be deleted or rendered anonymous.
Examples of the kind of third parties we work with are:
- IT companies who support our website and other business systems.
- To our industry partners, suppliers and subcontractors for the performance of any contract we enter into with you
- Where we outsource any of our business functions. For example, a professional conference company organises our annual conference
We will ensure that any such service provider adheres to at least the same obligations of security with regard to your data as undertaken by us.
If we are under a duty to disclose or share your personal data in order to comply with any legal obligation, or in order to enforce or apply other agreements; or to protect our rights, property, or safety of our employees, our customers, or others. This includes exchanging information with other companies, law enforcement bodies and organisations for the purposes of fraud protection or to prevent criminal activity.
We may also be required to disclose your personal data to the police or other enforcement, regulatory or Government body, in your country of origin or elsewhere, upon a valid request to do so. These requests are assessed on a case-by-case basis and take the privacy of our customers into consideration.
For further information please contact us on email@example.com / +44(0)20 7280 4350.
We currently use the following companies, who will process your personal data as part of their contracts with us:
- Haymarket Media Group (SOA Congress providers)
- Simplex Services Private Limited (IT Providers)
- Ifinity (IT Providers)
- ASI (IT Providers)
- Sage Publications Ltd (publishers of Journal of Intensive Care)
- Sage Pay Europe Ltd (for processing of website payments)
We will never sell your data to third parties for the purposes of marketing.
Where we store your data
The data that we collect from you may be transferred to, and stored at, a destination outside the European Economic Area (EEA).
Any payment transactions will be encrypted.
How long will we keep the data?
Whenever we collect or process your personal data, we’ll only keep it for as long as is necessary for the purpose for which it was collected.
At the end of that retention period, your data will either be deleted completely or anonymised, for example by aggregation with other data so that it can be used in a non-identifiable way for statistical analysis and business planning.
You have the right to ask us not to process your personal data for marketing purposes. We have provided an overview of your different rights
You have the right to request:
- Access to the personal data we hold about you, free of charge in most cases
- The correction of your personal data when incorrect, out of date or incomplete
- That we stop using your personal data for direct marketing (either through specific channels, or all channels)
- That we stop any consent-based processing of your personal data after you withdraw that consent
You have the right to request a copy of any information about you that the Society holds at any time, and also to have that information corrected if it is inaccurate.
To ask for your information to be amended, please update your online account, or contact us on +44(0)20 7280 4350 / firstname.lastname@example.org
If we choose not to action your request we will explain to you the reasons for our refusal.
Your right to withdraw consent
Whenever you have given us your consent to use your personal data, you have the right to change your mind at any time and withdraw that consent.
Where we rely on our legitimate interest
In cases where we are processing your personal data on the basis of our legitimate interest, you can ask us to stop for reasons connected to your individual situation. We must then do so unless we believe we have a legitimate overriding reason to continue processing your personal data.
You have the right to stop the use of your personal data for direct marketing activity through all channels, or selected channels. We must always comply with your request.
Checking your identity
To protect the confidentiality of your information, we will ask you to verify your identity before proceeding with any request you make under this Privacy Notice. If you have authorised a third party to submit a request on your behalf, we will ask them to prove they have your permission to act.
- There are several ways you can stop direct marketing communications from us:
- Click the ‘unsubscribe’ link in any email communication that we send you
- If you have a member account, log in and change your preferences you may notify us via email (email@example.com or via telephone +44(0)20 7280 4350)
- Write to us at Churchill House, 35 Red Lion Square, London WC1R 4SG
Please note that you may continue to receive communications for a short period after changing your preferences while our systems are fully updated.
The website may, from time to time, contain links to and from the websites of our partner networks, advertisers and affiliates. If you follow a link to any of these websites, please note that these websites have their own privacy policies and that we do not accept any responsibility or liability for these policies. Please check these policies before you submit any personal data to these websites.
How to contact us
We hope this Privacy Notice has been helpful in setting out the way we handle your personal data and your rights to control it.
If you have any questions that haven’t been covered, please contact us on firstname.lastname@example.org / +44(0)20 7280 4350 and our team will be pleased to help you.
Last updated: August 2021